Orality Overcomers frequently use culturally appropriate Bible passages in their Gospel communication. However, they tend to de-emphasize Bible study. This combination points to an emphasis on oral communication methods. Members of this segment typically work with those for whom traditional Bible study would not match people’s learning preferences-and/or in restrictive settings where physical or electronic evidence of Bible-study material would place seekers, believers and church planters at risk.
This orality emphasis encourages workers to focus on language proficiency to a greater degree than other segments, as well as to commit to working the heart language of the people.
This segment also emphasizes respect for local cultural norms and gender roles. Overcomers tend to live in homogeneous cultural settings where non-Muslim peoples comprise fewer than 15 percent of the population and where very few people self-identify as Christians.
Orality Overcomers are more likely than other segments to indicate persevering through difficulty and suffering. Members of this group demonstrate a healthy dose of caution in regard to where and with whom they share.
Orality Overcomers are particularly well represented in the Arab/Berber, Indo-Iranian and South Asian affinity blocs.
Orality Overcomers are encouraged to consider and discuss the following:
- Fluency-linguistic and cultural-is among the key Fruitful Practice themes and an area of strength for members of this segment. What have you learned through persevering in this area? How can you encourage others who may be struggling?
- How do those with whom you work learn new things? How do their learning preferences influence your communication?
- How well have your and your team’s methods be replicated and multiplied by (or among) those for whom you serve? What are one or two other ways that the message might be multiplied by or among that community?
- How do you ensure consistency and accountability in communication? How do you assess learning and application of lessons?
- What opposition or obstacles are you and your team facing? What encourages you or lightens your load? What has the Lord shown Himself to be strong in your weakness? For what key needs can others join with you in prayer?
- How does discernment intersect with boldness in your ministry? In what way could wise words or actions create opportunities for greater boldness?
Church Planting Personality | Word-Centered Advocate | Orality Overcomers | Trade-language Strategist | Judicious Intercessor | Compare with others